Friday 26 April 2013

Friday 26th April 2013

I woke up at seven o’clock in the morning ready for my EME sked and took one look at the weather and then went straight back to sleep. Outside was a raging eighty knot blizzard. After a nice sleep in I caught up on all my emails and generally had a very relaxed quiet day. I did a couple of loads of washing and vacuumed my room and changed the sheets.

 Latter on in the afternoon I wandered down to the radio shack (struggled through 180 kph wind and zero visibility) and was disappointed to hear all bands were quite dead and lots of noise caused by the blizzard and auroral activity.The wind was so strong it was blasting its way through the tiny holes in the rivets in the window frame I had just sealed up and causing ice to pile up all around the window frame. I guess I will have to get some more silastic to fill these tiny holes up. The fine dry snow blowing in a blizzard is just like icing sugar sandblasts every thing and stings the bare skin so ski goggles must be worn at all times. You rarely see it snow here but the snow blows down from the plateau by the ton and piles up behind any obstructions.

For dinner we had a steam boat up stairs that was quite good but afterwards most people seemed to vanish and went off to do their own thing. I hung out with a few guys for a while then went back to my room to watch some old recorded TV on my computer.
Fine dry snow blowing at 180 kph past my body


No comments:

Post a Comment