Tuesday 11 March 2014

Tuesday 11th March 2014

I was pretty tired this morning and at nine am I had to attend our monthly SAR/Fire/Environment teleconference with all stations and Kingston. After this I went and did ARPANSA and at smoko we had our weekly meeting. After smoko I had to fill out some official forms to be the station electoral officer for the upcoming state elections in WA, Tas and South Australia. Not long after this we had a blackout and of course the ANARESAT tracking went into standby mode so I had to gear up and go for a wander over to the ANARESAT building to drive the antenna back onto the satellite and engage the auto tracking.

At the weekly meeting I discovered the fire roster had expired, so I went back to my room to make out a new fire roster to get us through to resupply. After some tomato soup for lunch I spent the whole afternoon doing aptitude and psychological tests online for a job interview I will have on Thursday. I think I did pretty well except for the accounting section that required lots of difficult percentage calculations that I was a bit rusty on. I could do all the calculations but all these tests were timed and I was too slow making sure I had all the right answers and I ran out of time. The last time I did one of these tests was way back in 1980 in the Melbourne Exhibition building when I tried out for a traineeship with the Department of Civil Aviation where I beat 1500 applicants to secure one of eight positions. I hope I'm the only applicant going for this job. 

After work I wandered down to the radio shack and conditions on 10m were pretty good. I made a few contacts into central Russia and Poland and then PowerSDR started to crash once again and I had to give it away and go for dinner. I really have to sort this issue out before we sail out of here as I am hoping to use my radio on the voyage back to Hobart.

4 comments:

  1. I remember that day - last century. That's a fork in the road I probably should have taken a different path at :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Life is full of forks in the road Chris.
    Only regret the things you haven't done yet.
    What are you doing these days?

    Craig

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Repairing computers. Life has taken a full circle and am now back diagnosing and repairing, although not so much with a soldering iron.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete