Saturday 7 September 2013

Saturday 7th September 2013

This morning I had a bit of a sleep in and when I got up I did a couple of loads of washing before having a shower then a coffee and something to eat. It was blowing twenty knots but the sun was shining and it looked so nice outside. I was getting a bit of cabin fever as I knew there was a blizzard on the way so I decided to go for a long walk out amongst the Islands.

I was away for about four hours and had a great time climbing all the immediate Islands and looking all around the place. I was very aware a large blizzard was on its way so I kept an eye on the weather at all time. There were some really nice views from the summits of the Islands and I came across the odd bit of rubbish here and there which is not surprising as I was down wind of where everything used to be burnt off once upon a time. It was mostly wood, but I also found a fuel drum with a bullet hole in it that was no doubt used for target practice long ago. 

I finished my walk at the ice cliffs in west bay where I laid on the ice and listened to the ice cracking. At one point it all started cracking and grinding so much I got scared and ran away. Nothing happened but I didn't want to end the day getting squashed with 20,000 tons of ice. I walked back over west arm where John was doing a bit of cross country skiing and then back to the red shed. I was exhausted and my face was covered in ice but I had had a great time. Right on time the blizzard started at five thirty. We had pizza for dinner and later I watched Freo beat the cats and then I watched a three part documentary on the history of air ships that was fascinating.

Rafted sea ice in the tide cracks around the Islands
Rafted sea ice in the tide cracks around the Islands
Some rubbish blown onto the Islands
Some rubbish blown onto the Islands
Note the bullet hole
I wonder if it was this one?




6 comments:

  1. oh my god babe !! those ice look like snort from far .
    curly hair ? need lawn mover to clean that wiskes off

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Craig, you get better looking every week. Only a Mum coulds love a face like that. Keep the great photos coming.Mum.xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Starting to like it and might never shave or cut my hair again

    ReplyDelete
  4. Starting to like it and might never shave or cut my hair again

    ReplyDelete